Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

143 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT, 84111
United States

888-638-6668

Neumont College of Computer Science was founded in Salt Lake City, Utah in 2003, to fill the growing national demand for industry-ready technology professionals by offering bachelor’s degree in three years that immerses students in a rigorous, project-based curriculum. This blog serves as a platform to publish and share, news, reviews, and stories from Utah's best kept tech secret. 

Student Spotlight: Florence Hernandez

Blog

Neumont University's official blogs shares the stories of our students, alumni, faculty, and staff to illustrate the Neumont experience. 

Student Spotlight: Florence Hernandez

Krista Smith

Florence Hernandez lives with a constant smile on her face. Some have even wagered she sleeps in a perma-grin. Her enthusiasm and positivity, coupled with a tenacious love for programming that earned her the votes as Neumont University’s first female class President.

Whether taking votes at Project Showcase, programming her heart out, or giving a television interview to the press about the new Eccles Theater adjacent to Neumont, Florence is a joyous force to be reckoned with. She hails from North Richland Hills, Texas and is in her second year at Neumont.

We caught up with Florence over email to find a little more about her passion for java, project-based learning and desserts.

NU: First off, how much programming experience did you have prior to coming to Neumont?

FH: Before I came to Neumont, I took a year of computer science at Birdville High School. My teacher, Mr. Dix, was excellent and really pushed me to understand code. He could see my passion for it, and I am thankful that he started me on my path to coding success.

NU: And your favorite programming language?

FH: My favorite programming language is definitely Java! I'm a java baby—I started with it and it never stops being interesting.

NU: What’s a project you’ve enjoyed most during your time at Neumont?

FH: The project I enjoyed the most was when I was in my Second Quarter, it was a four person project for object-oriented programming. I was working with my friends: Brandon, AJ, and Nate, and we made a Binding of Isaac Calculator that allowed you to select your character, items, and other collectibles to calculate your damage. I learned A LOT of Java, and how to collaborate in a team. It was really fun and great time. 10/10!

NU: What has been the most surprising thing about your Neumont experience?

FH: The amount of friends that I made as soon as I came here. I was really afraid that being a girl would make people avoid me and dislike me because. This isn't really known as a woman's place. But everything worked out, and I have tons of friends and peers that respect me and my work.

NU: Tell us a tech trend you’re interested in and why.

FH: I'm not really too focused on one tech trend, but I guess I am really involved with any kind of video game news, releases, updates, watching videos of them, what have you. I eat, sleep, and breathe video games so keeping up with them is only natural. 

NU. Finish this sentence: “While attending Neumont, I’ve experienced…”

FH. While attending Neumont, I’ve experienced, independent and project leadership skills, along with collaboration on an industry level.

NU: And looking towards the future: what's your dream job? 

FH: My dream job for my career is to work at Google. However, I would like to be an entrepreneur and open my own coding bakery, kind of like a Starbucks but for coders and with tons of desserts.

[This interview has been edited for clarity.]